Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Make Believe

I still enjoy going to music shows much of the time, but there are only a few bands that really I count on to give me a visceral sense of engagement, especially: Faggot (http://www.myspace.com/aidsfaggot), the Knotwells (http://myspace.com/theknotwells), and Har Mar Superstar (www.harmarsuperstar.com). More than anyone, I remain admittedly obsession with the otherworldly performances of Tim Kinsella. My anticipation will begin to swell weeks before a show, and it will usually leave me with unshakable visions and fantasies for weeks afterwards. That’s why I’m overjoyed to hear that one of his bands, Make Believe, will be performing at the Cedar Cultural Center on June 30th. Get tickets right away!

Tim’s performance often have the feel of something important, of some kind of transformational experience. A contortion of body, facial expressions and, on a more abstract level, emotion itself. My reaction, of course, may be a bit idiosyncratic. I’m not claiming any sort of transcendental sublime to Make Believe, tho the only reason I feel the need to make such a qualification is because I know my enthusiasm for him will make me sound like an adolescent extolling a pop messiah. Tim’s music is one of those rare glimmers of inspiration that unleashes a hyperbolic response in me.

No comments: