Monday, January 23, 2006

Research Identity Statement

I'm in a class where we're been asked to write a statement on our research identity in terms of: 1. our disciplinary/scholarly affiliation (media studies, rhetorical criticism, etc)
2. our method (historiography, comparative, social science, etc)
3. why were're interested in our topic.

I'm still fumbling around trying to find the topics that really inspire me, and the above template presupposes a fixed "identity" and compartmentalization that doesn't really fit the kind of way I'd like to talk about my work. Yet, still I found this a very helpful exercise - it's pointed me towards refining some research questions and thoughts on approach.

Here's my statement as-is:

I am a media studies scholar investigating the role that media technologies and institutions play in cultural shifts and ideological transformations. I am particularly interested in contemporary activists and critics of neo-liberalism and their relationships with media institutions. Some of the questions I ask include: What groups of people do these activists try to influence and through what media do they communicate? What role do media institutions play in constructing the possibilities for such communication? How do certain practices of activists groups that fall outside the normative uses of mass media, such extralegal media appropriations or creating alternative media sites, affect relations between activists and media institutions? Through this research I seek to articulate the kinds of media practices that have been or might be successful in affecting cultural transformation. I am also seeking ways to participate in cooperative research/praxis projects with media activists.

No comments: